Sunday, May 24, 2009

We Wouldn't Be Here Without Them





If you think your life won't affect the lives of your posterity, my opinion will differ from yours. Lately I have been donating a lot of time taking pictures of headstones and posting them on findagrave.com for people who live in different parts of the United States. It gives me satisfaction and usually the recipients are very grateful.

Some people don't like cemeteries, but I find them very peaceful and calming. I am not one of those types who goes to the graves of loved ones and cries and mourns, because something in me tells me they are not th
ere. As I look over a cemetery, I can't help but understand that if were not for these deceased persons, we would not be here or be the people we are. Everyday I learn that we are all related and probably more closely than we imagine.Traditions which start with one family are passed down and down again until they are far-reaching.

When I was growing up, my mother would never allow us children to write
on our bodies--in fact it was strictly forbidden. Her reasoning was that it would hurt and offend my father. As it happened, Dad had a younger brother, Roger who was backed over and killed accidentally by my grandfather in his truck. The day that the tragedy occurred was the third birthday of Roger. If I have the story correct, Roger's siblings had celebrated with him and written all over his arms and hands "Happy Birthday." When they took Roger away, it was noted that he had these inscriptions.

I reared my own children the same as my mother--no one was allowed to write on their bodies. The other day it was confirmed to me that my daughter Cassy was also teaching her children the same thing.

Recently Cassy went in to Coy's teacher for a parent-teacher conference. The teacher told her what a wonderful student Coy was. She also told Cassy that at the end of each school day she would either write a happy fac
e, a straight face or a sad face on each student's palm to show their parents how they had behaved in school. She told Cassy that Coy would not allow her to do this, since he could not write on his body.

I am really proud of Coy for obeying his parents whether he agreed with them or not, he still obeyed, because it was a tradition.


Coy McBride, age 5

Have a great Memorial Day and remember those who have gone before us!

No comments:

Post a Comment