Friday, January 23, 2009

Hattie Rozella Charlotta Jane Tuttle Anderson

Vera's mother Hattie Rozella Charlotta Jane Tuttle was born in Stokes County, North Carolina in 1882. After joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1891, her family emigrated to Utah. Hattie remembered her Utah cousins were so curious about their North Carolina accent. When asked to speak, Hattie and her sister would get laughed at.

Hattie recalled when she and her husband, Parley, and her younger children lived in Burrville, Utah, "We all like it living in that old rock house at the end of the lane. Yes, my boys and
Rae all grew up in that house. They went to school, and we had a nice place for them to grow up in--plenty of good, fresh air and horses to ride, cows to milk."

The Andersons lived in the horse and buggy days. Hattie stated, "I used to drive old Molly and take my kiddies, and we would go to school AND HOW! I had a new buggy whip, and I would really make her step up. I really
was happy then. That is a time for folks to enjoy family--when they are at home with their little feet under your table and saying, 'Mother, this is good,' and 'Mother, may I have some more?' That made my heart swell with joy to hear them say that. Bless their little hearts."

Hattie tells us in her history about her younger children, 'They all had a job. They hauled the milk for three years, and Dee drove the school bus. When they had to do something else, I would always drive for them. I would haul the milk to the creamery when Dee was busy. I would drive the school bus, and I really did enjoy it. I always like to do those things to help out some."



In the evenings Hattie's children and grandchildren gathered to sing around the piano. Hattie played the piano and violin. Their youngest daughter, Rae played the piano and often by ear.  It was often said, "If you could hum a tune Rae could play it on the piano." One of their favorite songs was Ten Pretty Girls.

Hattie bore ten children. Rae, her youngest, was only 17 years old when Hattie died in 1944. She raised children for 43 years as well as helping with many grandchildren. Of course, each child will have different memories of their home life--growing up in different times.

Vera had pleasant memories of her home life. She mentioned, "Afternoons at my house had a happy atmosphere. Mother had a lot of company. Each day she would bake pies, cookies or cakes. The smell of baked goods and coffee bring back good memories." Hattie related a similar thought, "I did like to have my friends come and go."

Hattie was a good Christian woman with a strong faith, who taught her children to pray. Vera said, "I went with my mother [to church] when there was a church we could go to."

About a year before her death, Hattie wrote of her marriage to Parley, "Well, here we are sitting by the fire, and we have seen 43 years of married life, and our hearts remain the same." 






1 comment:

  1. Cindy, Thanks for writing! I have really enjoyed learning. Love ya, Diana

    ReplyDelete